Monday, November 29, 2004

 
Shawn Legault (who's on pace to score...wait for it... 36 goals!) features in this Canadian Press round-up of minor league fighters.

It's tough looking at him and trying to punch his face in, Legault says of buddy Ryan Shmyr.

But my favorite bit is about ex-Bat and UHLer Eric Labelle:

The native of Gatineau, Que., laughs when told an UHL spokeswoman told The Canadian Press the league would not co-operate in helping track down tough guys because fighting is not a big issue in the league anymore.

"I guess she hasn't been to one of our games yet," he says on the phone from Rockford, Ill.

With 119 penalty minutes in 19 games, the former QMJHL enforcer is wreaking havoc in UHL rinks.

"I don't look very tough so every game someone looks at my stats and wants to fight me," Labelle, 23, says...

...Honourable mention goes to Brad Wingfield of Gibsons, B.C., who has racked up 174 penalty minutes in 19 games with the Danbury Trashers.

"I haven't seen him yet. But I know some guys call him Wingnut," Labelle says. "My coach said he was pretty tough. We play his team in January.

"I'll probably try him and if he beats me, I'll try him again, and if he beats me again, I'll try him again."

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?